Wednesday, June 2, 2010

SVTF with COMSCC

What a weekend! Got cleared for my TT License with this group (first event with them and first track day with the SVTF). Sadly, it does not matter. I am moving away from the area.

At the end of the first session, coming off 10, my car lost all power. I thought my trans blew, since I just fixed the clutch. Then I realized, I had no motor - nada. Glided into pits thinking great...time for a new car. These motors are impossible to find/fix.

Got the car restarted. Ran very flat. No smoke, all oil was fine. So I knew I had an ignition issue. Checked sparks, checked wires, got my OBDII out and found a coil code. Looked at my MSD Ignition - the little 3 prong tab that connects the power to the unit had snapped off. :violent: My buddy was there, we start calling auto part stores. AutoZone actually had an ignition coil for my motor and wires. We ran over, got a set, ran back to the track. Missed one session, but was able to get the car back together for 3 and 4.

Session 3:

Returning after a full course yellow and pit in for clean up. I was playing with the high HP line and different approaches to some of the turns prior to coming in. Most resulted in "nah, don't like that". I thought this was a pretty good line.

In Car:

One lap from the stands:

I was timed in session 4 at a consistant 1:31-1:32. Not bad for a full weight SVT.

For reference the Spec Miatas (also in my class) run about 4-8 seconds faster in the TT events. If I shaved all the dead weight in this car, she would be near their times.

The Corvette couple (matching Vettes - that's a wife ;) ) were very nice people. They were amazed that I was going so fast in the turns. On the last session, I was going 9/10ths. Line and braking was nailed down. The faster cars would pill on the straights. Then I would catch them braking and in my turn in speed. They were joking about how they'd pull away for a bit. Then I would come flying up onto them in the braking zone and in my corner speeds. Instructor was impressed.

One funny story - a 95-99 Mustang GT prepped car was on my butt in the front straight. Reluctantly, I let him pass me (ya, I know he had more power to go straight). Soon as he made the pass, we got in line for turn 1. I can take that much faster than he could. I was returning the favor for riding me on the straight...just through the turns. He apparently did not like that...or my late braking into the turn, sucking way up into his rear view mirror. ;) Right after turn 1/2a/2b, he allowed me to pass him. My instructor had a good laugh.

Last session was cut short. I got 13 minutes in then (if you watched the video) that red M3 race car blew a hose right after passing me on the straight. Soiling 1/2a/2b. That clean up killed our time.

Overall, I thought COM did a great event. Instructors were top notch. I got great feedback from him on this car. Wish it was not raining today, or I would be back out there running the TT session. :( No rain tires, my street tires are too played out for rain racing.

Happy Racing,

MG

No comments:

Post a Comment